Friday, February 22, 2008

Goings On

My mom recently told me that I couldn't talk about the weather anymore. I'm sure that she will now tell me "no more knitting". Maybe I'm a bit obsessive compulsive, but maybe its just that my life tends to focus on certain things at certain times (or maybe I lead a very boring life). The funny thing is that when I'm actually trying to focus on something in the moment (like reading a textbook), I can't. I will read or do the task at hand for 15 mn or if I'm lucky a half hour, and will then have to do something else. So this general blog focus on one area is quite strange for me.

So, after that long and confusing preamble, I have some more knitting fun to share. The Norwegian mittens are coming along, but will most likely be too small for me, so some lucky person may receive these as a gift at some point. I hope you like them! I hope they turn out.

The new knitting creation is actually much more simple, and is also norwegian. Here in Norway, it seems that just about everyone wears "pulsevarmerne", which translates, as you can probably guess to pulsewarmers, or wristwarmers. Most people wear these under their coats, with sweaters, all the time. Its like an extra warmer, that I'm told really works! I always thought, oh, I don't need those. Plus, they'll make my arms look chunkier, I don't need more bulk at my wrists. That's the skinniest part of my arm. (I learned long ago from Trinny and Susannah that for those of us with sausage type arms, we are not to wear bulkiness on our wrists.)

But, one day I saw one of the high schoolers wearing some that were quite light and airy looking (not heavy and bulky. She looked so great. It was like she was wearing funky knitted bracelets instead of pulsevarmerne. So, I decided that yes, I would give these pulsevarmerne a go. I had been accumulating wristwarmer knitting patterns and had bought some great sparkly yarn while in Turkey. I decided to combine the two and make some fun wristwarmers that hopefully wouldn't give me chunky wrists. Or, if that did happen, these pulsevarmerne would be so cool that I just wouldn't care (shh, don't tell Trinny and Susannah, or Stacy and Clinton).

Last night I finished the little sewing bit that I had been putting off, and the new fabulous pulsevarmerne are now completed. I can now have warm wrists like many Norwegians!
OK, so yes, they just look like wings laying on the chair like that. But look how sparkly they are! oh my! But, never fear, here's a pic of them actually warming my wrists.
P.S. If you are a fellow knitter and would like the pattern, you can get it for free here. Somehow the bottom portion of mine came out a little different, not sure what I did. But, they are very easy. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stylish WRISTS....And who knows wrist warmers may be just the thing that gets you through the WEATHER!!!!!
There isn't anything wrong with you...You just need a good ole fashioned Back Porch Grill Party!!! ro :+))))))))