Friday, February 8, 2008

Giving Up for Lent

I've given up watching TV for lent. I've never given anything up for lent before, so this is a new experience for me. It seems like I want to watch tv more now that I have decided not to watch it than I did when I could watch tv. But, part of why I am giving up watching tv is that I felt like I was watching too much tv, instead of immersing myself in norwegian culture. Plus, I would often watch shows from the US (reruns even), so tv was often my escape.

I just learned that our Pastor's family is also giving up TV for lent, but that they can watch on Sunday because Sundays are not techinially part of lent and are meant to be a celebration. So, I may watch on Sundays. Plus, that's when Ugly Betty is on tv here, and she's my fav!! And its the new season!! Part of me feels like this is cheating though. But, I sure am looking forward to Sunday!!

So, what to do with myself instead of plunking down in front of the tv? Well, last night I read and I knitted (something besides a scarf!) and read AND went to bed before midnight!! How amazing was that! I even woke up before my alarm went off. Last week in his sermon, Pastor K talked about lenten disciplines being about brining people into community, to bring people to focus on others. I hadn't thought of that before, but it does seem that now that I don't have tv, I am feeling somewhat more impetus to invest in some new relationships and contact people that others have told me to get ahold of. I will hopefully work on my norwegian too!

If anyone has any tips or advice on giving something up for lent, let me know. I'm a newbie at this. Only 38 more days. Only 38 more days!! Do tv shows on the computer count?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try PRAYER!!!! then the Apostle's Creed...then try the 10 Commandments, then every Bible Verse you know by heart!
and remember...This Lent too shall pass!!!
Sidebar: I gave up CHOCOLATE for the full 40 days in 2004!!! It took a smile, determination, prayer, and LOTS of walking!

And don't CHEAT on any Sunday hereafter...it may cause you to give up on giving something up!

TEMPTATION!!! Remember sex in the city!!!! :+))))))) Ro