Thursday, March 6, 2008

The housing situation

A certain someone (yes, my mother again) recently suggested to me that she would like to see more of my daily life - the interesting spots in Oslo I stumble across, my favorite Norwegian something, you get the picture. I was a bit reluctant at first because she will be visiting me in Oslo, so I didn't want to spoil the adventure of new discovery. But, oh well, I can never capture all the fun of Oslo. Plus, then the rest of you would lose out on the fun of my life in Oslo.

So, I've outed myself as the tourist, or just strange person taking pictures of strange things so that ya'll can see the little highlights of my life here in Oslo. I can't tell you all the strange looks I've gotten, especially from older women, as I take pictures of random houses!

To be honest, most of these pictures don't capture the beauty and joy that these little places bring me. Guess that's part of the beauty though, that there is life in these places and spaces beyond what might appear.

As I've started looking through my pictures, I think this will be the housing post, of all those norwegian houses that I think are quite fun.Really its the inside of this house that I love. The outside is typical Norwegian, but inside there are pictures all over and just seems like the place where some great Norwegian grandparents live. There's even a good size fountain on the side.

Right across the street from the yellow house is this building. I don't think its a house any more, not really sure what goes on here. But, it looks a little bit creepy and a little bit regal. Plus, the address is 'Professor Dahl's Gate'. I just love the name of that street!

Not so much a home as a hotel, but itsn't it grand? Looks like an urban castle to me.

I have absolutely no idea what this is. Is it a fancy garage? A former fortress? I don't know. Cars drive under the little archway, but I don't know if they go in this thing. Behind it, you can see an apt. building, but they are of completly different styles. Any thoughts what this could be? Oh, another mystery for my day.

I know you're thinking, what in the world is that. Well, its one of my favorite nighttime homes, at night - obviously. But, obviosly, it doesn't show up very well in a picture. But, oh well. Many of my favorite houses in my neighborhood look much more spectacular at night than by day. I think its the sparkly factor. But, this one reminds me of the glow of a fireplace at night. Wish you could see it!

I've also posted more pics on my Picassa site, if you want to see more! Next, I think I'll post one of my favorite things in Oslo - the blomster!

No comments: