Wednesday, March 19, 2008

For Real

There's a new movie out in Norway called "Lange Flate Baller II" - yes it translates to what you think, but actually means 'Playing Wide'. But, its not the title that has gotten me, its the trailer or advertisement for the film that cracks me up. The trailer is actually a series of three trailers, but the first one gets the most play. Trailer #2 is quite funny too.

The main trailer stars George W. Bush sitting at his desk, presumably speaking to the Norwegian people - telling them to go see the film, or he will invade their country. This caught me quite off guard and in disbelief. I'm not sure why though. I keep waiting for the film studio to yank the trailer off the air, citing some offended person or political correctness.



I have actually heard Norwegians say almost the same thing as Bush in this trailer - oh, you better do what Bush wants or he will invade you. It seems that many Norwegians have a love / hate relationship with the US. Many people who I have met are intrigued with the US, have visited the US, and are very friendly to you as a person. But, most Norwegians don't tend to like US foreign policy. I can't say this is true in every aspect, but is my experience.

I'm continually amazed how much coverage US politics and events receives here in Norway. Every move of the primary campaigns is reported. Most weather events - snow storm, tornado, etc. Celebrity news. And more. We even get John Stewart - both on CNN international and on one of the Norwegian broadcasting stations.

I'm still not sure what to make of the United States from the perspective of Norway. I have learned that much of US media is watched not just in the US, but in other countries around the world. I have also learned that this makes for some great comedy and funny funny movie trailers!!

In case you are bored this Holy Week, you can see all three movie trailers for Lange Flate Ballaer II at http://www.langeflateballer.no/. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All that news everywhere makes you wonder: do we REALLY need to know everything going on at every minute in the world? Do I need to know about every murder or child abuser out there? It is one thing to be informed about the events going on in the world. It is another to be so attached to 'the news' that we allow it to affect our emotional state.

This has been a friendly ramble from your brother. Hope you had a great time in Ghana! I might have my first real job in a few weeks working for a cultural resource management firm in Minneapolis...keep your fingers crossed. See ya. Peder