Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Is that God Calling?

After reading my last post, my brother asked me if I would go back to Ghana as a pastor in the future. Oh, the question of the day! While we were still in Damongo, I was trying to figure out the answer to this question, or more correctly, trying to figure out how I could finagle my answer to this question.

I loved Ghana. I loved Damongo. Yes, loved. On our way out of Damongo, I said to Jim, the leader of our trip and the project. OK, I've figured out a way for me to get back to Damongo after I graduate from seminary, I could __________. (No, I won't fill in the blank. What I dreamed up doesn't even exist yet, among other reasons.)

But in reality, I was only in Ghana for 2 1/2 weeks. I stayed in pretty nice guests houses with running water and air conditioning. I was hosted by amazing friends, who took care of me. I didn't even have to cook for myself! I was spoiled. I wasn't living true Ghanaian life (whatever that stereotype might be). So, I worry when I wonder if I might be called back to Ghana. I haven't really experienced real life in Ghana for an extended period of time!
Church leaders in front of the church in Bowena.

But, you never know where and how God might call you. I never wanted to be a pastor, but look at me now. I really really didn't want to be a pastor because I didn't want to preach, or at least figured I wouldn't be anywhere decent at it, but surprise surprise, I can preach (did I tell you that I preached in Damongo!).
So, who am I to say where God can or cannot call me to serve. I believe that God calls us where we are meant to be, where we should be. God doesn't call us to endeavors that would be horrible, that we would hate. Sometimes its like God is the ultimate talent scout. So, might I have the gifts for ministry in Ghana. I'm not sure. I hope maybe, but maybe part of that hoping is just nostalgia from my great visit to Damongo and Ghana as a whole. I've also wondered about Canada. Hmm...

By the way, to receive a call back to Ghana would be quite the ecumenical hopping. I'm guessing its residual from colonial days when the mainline denominations divided up Africa for missions, but the Presbyterian Church is most active in Ghana. The ELCA, or a lutheran church associated with Lutheran World Federation, is not so active in Ghana. Guess we'll see what God might be up to!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praying for discernment for you. What a spiritual time you had there.