Saturday, October 20, 2007

Can I drink this?

 
Hmm, you thought I was living in the great northern paradise? Well, here's some news for you! Oslo's public water has been found to have giardia (which I've heard of) and cryptosporidium (no idea what this is)! For the next 2 weeks we have to either boil the water for 3 mns or buy bottled water. It was first reported on Wednesday, but the people who test the water first reported it last Friday. On Wednesday, most of the convenience stores sold out of their supply of bottled water, which was quite funny! Now, some stores have signs up that say "vi har vann" or we have water. Never thought I would see that sign, especially in Oslo.
 
Being as I have some sort of problem, ethical, environmental, monetary, not sure with buying bottled water, I've been boiling water like a fiend. And, you have to let the water cool after boiling before using it. This is the worst part, since it seems to take forever to cool. I can still shower, etc with the water, but when brusing teeth, making coffee, cooking pasta, etc. I use the boiled water. I've never realized how much water I use, and how precious it really it. The first day I was so thirsty because I hadn't boiled any water yet. Uff da!
I can now say I have lived in a place where I had to boil the water! Funny how all the people at our international training this summer, everyone laughed that I wouldn't need to know any of the safety precautions we were talking about. Little did they, or I know what was coming. Enjoy your water!

No comments: