Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Early Morning

This morning the workers arrived at 7:15am to replace the front door of my apartment. I knew this was coming, so I got up mighty early, ate, showered, and dressed before they arrived. But, I wasn't sure what I would do with myself when they arrived. Yesterday, when they were working on the doors upstairs, it was quite noisy. But bearable, like living in a dentist's office.

So, after they had taken off my door, and received the keys that will open my new door when I return, I set off from my apt. It has been warm and sunny here in Oslo for the past week, so I set off for my local park, FrognerParkeren. Even while on my way to the park, I noticed that many many people were on their bikes going to work. Normally I leave my apt after most commuters have arrived at their offices, so I don't see this phenomenon.

But, as I found a bench at the park and started to read my book, I became amazed at the number of bicycles passing by. They just kept coming, and coming, and coming. I knew that many people biked, especially since there is a high toll to drive your car into the city of Oslo. But, goodness, the bikers never stopped! Such a fun site to see on a sunny morning.

Even if you don't own a bike in Oslo, you can join in the biking fun. All over town are stationed these kind of rent-a-bike stands. You just insert your bankcard, or special card (I can't remember). Rent a bike for the time you need (commuting to the office). And then replace the bike in the nearest stand to your destination. Cool, huh! I haven't done this yet since I don't have a bank card. But, I think I can get a special card. We'll see. My walking legs are working just fine for now.

No comments: