Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Royal Spotting

Special update!!

So, yesterday I was walking to the train station from church, going by the royal palace. But, I'm hearing a band and there are flags flying at the palace - more than usual, and guard looking people marching around. So, of course I wander across teh street and to the palace. Lining the palace drive are Norwegian and Brazilian flags, the road is just gated off - not the kind of real security gating of the US, but just like a parade gating. Near the palace entrance is a canopied podium type of thing, and a seating area, and a press stand.

Soon, in marches about 100 royal guard, who line up and then are inspected and moved, etc. by their superiors.

Well, eventually, after everything is neat and in line. Out of the palace comes King Olav, the Queen, and Princess Marit. Olav goes and inspects the guard (at which point he was about 20 feet from me), then goes back and they all greet what look like embassy people or something from Brazil, in the stage area. Eventually, in drives the official motorcade. And out comes the President of Brazil, his wife, and Prince Hokan!

They do a little tour of the guard, shake hands, go see the Brazil people (who are singing Ole, ole, ole ole...), remember from the World Cup. - not of the Norwegian ole and lena jokes.

Anyway, how weird is that that on my way home, I wandered upon a royal reception. I think they were leaving the palace as I walked to work this morning. Out of the palace drive came a larger motorcade, who then headed through town, with the police preparing their way.

As one of the Norwegian people I was talking to at the Royal Reception said - that's one of the great things about living in a small country! You get to see and be part of these things!!

Official Pics Here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, nice article, but I think you would want to check out the name of that king again... :-)